Skip to main content

Pursuit of happiness



  When I first started my job here in LA I was only getting three hour shifts during the weekdays. I would have about a two hour gap in between work and school in which I would go to Starbucks and order my venti black iced tea, with more sweetener added than there is tea, and my turkey pesto sandwich. Every payday I would go to the mall, pick up some bath bombs from Lush, and grab some Taco Bell. These things made me happy and I looked forward to them but then my hours picked up and my money got tight. That was when I learned the difference between happiness and joy. 
   Habakkuk 3:17-18 "Though the fig tree does not bud and there are no grapes on the vines, though the olive crop fails and the field produces no food, though there are no sheep in the pen and no cattle in the stalls, yet I will rejoice in the Lord, I will be joyful in God my Savior." 
  Joy is having a cheerful heart even when things in life seem to be crumbling apart. 
  Happiness is finding contentment in the things around us. Things around us are fleeting, we are happy today but sad tomorrow.
  Joy comes from the Lord. Joy comes from when we put our trust in the Lord.
  Romans 15:13 "May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit."
  Even when money runs out, you don't get the promotion, a relationship ends, or whatever causes your happiness to fade, you are able to find joy because you trust that God is with you and that God is preparing you a better tomorrow.
  I remember a few years ago this cute little old lady at church was so happy. When asked how she could have this radiating joy she responded with "Well, God loves me." The world could seemingly be against you, everything in your life could be falling apart but God loves you. Do you trust Him to take care of you and guide you through all the ups and the downs? Nehemiah 8:10 "Do not grieve, for the joy of the Lord is your strength."



*Feel free to comment or email me for any prayer requests or questions* 
Email: jessicutscolorandstyle@gmail.com
Instagram: @jessicanicolelair
                 @jessicuts.color.and.style
Twitter: @jessnicolelair

*Looking for a church in the LA area?*
Check out The Gathering LA
Sunday's at 11 a.m. and 7 p.m.
1725 Ivar Ave. Hollywood, CA 90028

Comments

  1. Well written my fellow PK aka my other daughter. Definitely words to think about. Love ya kiddo.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What the Millennial Church Lacks- From a Millennial

Let me start off this blog post with a background on who I am. First off, I am a millennial. I also am a pastor's kid who has been surrounded by the church her entire life. I have been to the small hometown church to the big, three-services-a-day church. I have been the PK running around, the staff member running behind the scenes, and the new comer in the corner awkwardly sipping the burnt coffee.  When I was 18 years old, I moved from the Bible-belt of California (Bakersfield) to Los Angeles. I began attending a church plant, only two-years old at the time, in the heart of Hollywood. For six months I got to church just in time for service to start and I was always the first one to leave. Through a twist of events I ended up serving as a staff member at this church. I love this church with my whole heart! This, being a new church in Hollywood, attracted almost 90% of millennials. After attending this church for two years, I moved up to Sacramento to a church that is alm...

You aren’t always David in the story, sometimes you are Goliath.

I truly believe I am one of the luckiest girls alive. I was raised in a Christian home, sent through private school, and surrounded by love from the most incredible parents, Pastor Dad and Mom. Growing up a PK, my parents did a dang good job at letting me live in a home of grace, corrective love, and freedom from shame. I saw God and Christianity through the acts of a dad who preached the Word and nothing but the Word and through a mom who always would, and still does, tell me to “just be you and forget what anyone else has to say or think about it”. I mean, at 16 they let me dye my hair bubblegum pink; something I clearly have yet to grow out of. I never saw my faith through the eyes of religion, shame, or judgement. Rather, I saw faith through relationship, grace, and the freedom and space to make my faith my own- however that journey needed to happen.  With that being said, I was naive to a world of those who declare Christianity yet spew hate, division, judgement, and so many o...

Letting go

  So, you've been hurt and  it's not fun, trust me, I know. These past couple of weeks I have been going back and forth and up and down with everything trying to understand how to move past being hurt. Well, it's time to deal with the damage.   "Staying hurt or offended is a choice... just like moving forward is a choice..." -Alberto Bello    So how do I deal with the damage?        I let it go.    Yes I am VERY aware how much easier said than done that is but the reality is, I can not move forward if I am looking back.    Mark 12:30-31 "Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength. The second is this: Love your neighbor as yourself. There is no commandment greater than these."        Love God. Love people.    People will hurt you. People will fail you. People will do you wrong and everything in you will scream "hate t...