Skip to main content

Letting go

  So, you've been hurt and it's not fun, trust me, I know. These past couple of weeks I have been going back and forth and up and down with everything trying to understand how to move past being hurt. Well, it's time to deal with the damage. 
 "Staying hurt or offended is a choice... just like moving forward is a choice..." -Alberto Bello 
  So how do I deal with the damage?
       I let it go. 
  Yes I am VERY aware how much easier said than done that is but the reality is, I can not move forward if I am looking back. 
  Mark 12:30-31 "Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength. The second is this: Love your neighbor as yourself. There is no commandment greater than these." 
      Love God. Love people. 
  People will hurt you. People will fail you. People will do you wrong and everything in you will scream "hate them, tear them down, allow them to feel the pain they caused you" but that small pure voice will whisper "love them".
  How do we love those who clearly didn't love us?
      Forgiveness.
  But "forgiveness does not mean friendship."(Alberto Bello... again lol) We are called to forgive but we are not called to be friends. We are called to love, even our enemies. There are moments where it would be MUCH healthier for you to allow people to walk out of your life and that doesn't mean throw knives in their back as they turn away, it just means allow your heart to forgive and move on from what they may have done. 
  I sat in my bitterness and declared "I can forgive but I won't forget" and there I thought I would find healing in that. My foolish heart thought that I could move past the pain while the past still consumed my thoughts. 1 Corinthians 13:5 "...it keeps no record of wrongs." I am not showing love if I am not letting go of the past.
     I just need to let it go. 
  I can sit here and write out that "if you sit in bitterness that's them winning blah blah blah" but I don't want to encourage you through this with the motive of there being a winner and a loser. Dealing with the damage is not about who comes out on top, it's about your heart and your character through it all. 
  What is done is done. God has called me to walk out a certain life and I will not let the pains of yesterday continue to hold me back.
  So here I am, picking myself back up, forgiving, forgetting, and loving through the heartache. You are not alone, people are being hurt by people every second, so I encourage you to talk to someone who will speak life into you, because we aren't made to walk through life alone, so don't walk through a season of pain alone.
   

Comments

  1. The truth that forgiveness does not mean friendship is something that I am trying to teach Emma because I had a hard time making that boundary. I thought forgiveness was allowing them back into my life or just my thought life. It was freedom to realize that (in a devo book for 4 year olds, no less!). So glad you brought that out! Great read, Jess! Keep shining where God has you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The rest of my life...

Let me ask you a question: If where you are currently at is exactly where God called you to be for the rest of your life, how would you respond? This question was brought up during a venting session I had with two of my closest friends. I have been thinking about it over and over again. How would I respond? I'll be honest, most days my response is frustration. When I have served at what I considered to be the "bottom" I was constantly looking to my next season. I was constantly praying and hoping for God to elevate me out of where I currently was. I wonder how many opportunities to serve Christ I missed out on because I was always looking left or right for what I wanted as opposed to looking straight ahead to what He was doing. Matthew 25:29  "To those who use well what they are given, even more will be given, and they will have an abundance. But from those who do nothing, even what little they have will be taken away." That brings me to another question:

At The Hands Of A Woman - A Response Post

A Christian girl responding to "I'm A Christian Girl And I'm Not A Feminist, Because God Did Not Intend For Women To Be Equals" "It is OK for me to not want to be equivalent with a man." When I saw this article pop up on my Facebook feed back in March, I laughed. This had to be a gag article, right? Some sort of satire published by the Odyssey. (What makes it even better is when I went to re-read it today to write my response, the ad in the middle of the blog was a video titled 'Why Many Christian Girls Remain Single' by a guy. But that is neither here nor there.)  Now this blog is "old news" since it was published in March and I am responding in May, but in all transparency I had to wait to respond (not that it was my job or duty to respond, but I just had so many thoughts and frustrations). I waited to respond because my frustration was going to speak before my heart could. So, I let time pass and I processed it all.  I ha

God chose you, are you choosing Him?

Hi friends! Your multi-colored hair, coffee drinking, spaz of a friend is back. Life has been an adventure this last year and I find myself back in the town I graduated high school from, living with my parents for the first time in 5 years. I am in a bit of a transitional point in my life, with some time off. So, why not start writing again? As always, I want to be transparent and vulnerable with you. Today's writing is totally prompted by what God has recently been doing in me and I decided to share it with you. You see- I have been chasing a feeling. I have been searching for a way to fill a specific void in my heart. The concept of someone choosing me . Two of my closest friends have heard me sing this song for some time, especially the last few months. I have wanted someone to choose me. I wanted the boy who pursued something with my best friend behind my back, to choose me. I wanted my best friend in that moment, to choose me. I wanted every guy in every failed relat