Skip to main content

Good but miserable

"I never knew Christians could be so good, but so miserable at the same time." I had someone express this to me as they told me of their overly-strict upbringing. My heart broke that somewhere in his life, that is what the church allowed him to see. When I talk of my faith and my convictions with people so many times the conversation of the "can't do's" comes up. "So, you can't get drunk?" "So, you can't watch horror movies?" "So, you can't wear ripped jeans to church?" "So, you can't have piercings or tattoos?" or when I dyed my long blonde hair bright pink I got the question: "Your dad allowed that?!" So from that pierced, ripped jean wearing, crazy cut/colored hair girl that has watched horror movies in her life, wants tattoos, and whose dad was a pastor for 30+ years, I have felt more freedom walking with Christ than I have felt walking away from Him. 
No, I don't get drunk. Will I drink when I'm 21? Maybe. Jesus drank wine, but He does say to not get drunk. But that's not my concern right now and that's another blog for another day. 

I get where he's coming from when he says "good but miserable". Some churches focus too much on the "don'ts" rather than they "do's" and the "why do and why don't". What I mean is, they try to have your "good works" be so black and white and that be the basis of your faith rather than work on your heart and allow your heart to be the determination of your actions. 
Colossians 2:8 "Don't let anyone capture you with empty philosophies and high-sounding nonsense that come from human thinking and from spiritual powers of this world, rather than Christ." 
Colossians 2:23 "These rules may seem wise because they require strong devotion, pious self-denial, and severe bodily discipline. But they provide no help in conquering a person's evil desire."
Maybe a church has told you that you can't wear flip flops, so when you are at the beach in your laced up shoes you are uncomfortable and they say "If you are uncomfortable its for Jesus and that is what's right." or something like that. That is an empty philosophy from a human mind, not from Christ. My ripped jeans will not stop me from getting into heaven. If I refrain from getting another piercing, that won't stop me from lying. It's all in the heart. 


WHAT YOU ACTUALLY SHOULD DO

Colossians 3:5-9 "So put to death the sinful, earthly things lurking within you. Have nothing to do with sexual immorality, impurity, lust, and evil desires. Don't be greedy, for a greedy person is an idolater, worshipping the things of this world. Because of these sins, the anger of God is coming. You used to do these things when your life was still part of this world. But now is the time to get rid of anger, rage, malicious behavior, slander, and dirty language. Don't lie to each other, for you have stripped off your old sinful nature and all its wicked deeds."
Colossians 3:12-15 "Since God chose you to be the holy people he loves, you must clothe yourselves with tender hearted mercy, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience. Make allowance for each other's faults, and forgive anyone who offends you. Remember, the Lord forgave you, so you must forgive others. Above all clothe yourselves with love, which binds us all together in perfect harmony. And let the peace that comes from Christ rule in your hearts. For as members of one body you are called to live in peace. And always be thankful."

Your heart is what needs work, not your appearance. Your desires, your attitude, your perspective of your heart is what your focus should be on, not the "good works" you do. If your heart is aligned with kingdom thinking, then your actions will flow from it, not the other way around. 
Proverbs 21:2-3 "People may be right in their own eyes, but the Lord examines their heart. The Lord is more pleased when we do what is right and just than when we offer him sacrifices."

NOT MISERABLE

I said that I felt more freedom following Christ than I did walking away from Him. Christ calls me to forgive, to let go of anger, to always be thankful, and when I don't follow through with those, that is what binds me down. Anger consumes my heart and thoughts. Negativity spoils my life and those around me. Holding on to any wicked thing in the heart is what chains me down. Yes, doing what Christ calls me to do, not what a human of the church calls me to do, is hard sometimes because it goes against what my flesh wants, but overall it is the most freeing thing. 

Pastors are a gift from God. I am so thankful for all the pastors I've had in my life. I've been blessed with some of the best leaders to point me to Christ. The church has been a blessing on my life as well. Just be careful because there are many wolves dressed in sheeps clothes. I encourage you to make sure the words your pastor, mentor, church leader, etc. have been giving you are a Bible-based sermons, advice, counseling, etc. Christ cares about your heart, not your hair. 

So this ripped jean wearing, tattoo wanting, pop music listening, nose pierced, Christ loving girl is going to work on her language, on her anger, on showing kindness, on all the things of the heart so that she may grow closer to Christ.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The rest of my life...

Let me ask you a question: If where you are currently at is exactly where God called you to be for the rest of your life, how would you respond? This question was brought up during a venting session I had with two of my closest friends. I have been thinking about it over and over again. How would I respond? I'll be honest, most days my response is frustration. When I have served at what I considered to be the "bottom" I was constantly looking to my next season. I was constantly praying and hoping for God to elevate me out of where I currently was. I wonder how many opportunities to serve Christ I missed out on because I was always looking left or right for what I wanted as opposed to looking straight ahead to what He was doing. Matthew 25:29  "To those who use well what they are given, even more will be given, and they will have an abundance. But from those who do nothing, even what little they have will be taken away." That brings me to another question:

At The Hands Of A Woman - A Response Post

A Christian girl responding to "I'm A Christian Girl And I'm Not A Feminist, Because God Did Not Intend For Women To Be Equals" "It is OK for me to not want to be equivalent with a man." When I saw this article pop up on my Facebook feed back in March, I laughed. This had to be a gag article, right? Some sort of satire published by the Odyssey. (What makes it even better is when I went to re-read it today to write my response, the ad in the middle of the blog was a video titled 'Why Many Christian Girls Remain Single' by a guy. But that is neither here nor there.)  Now this blog is "old news" since it was published in March and I am responding in May, but in all transparency I had to wait to respond (not that it was my job or duty to respond, but I just had so many thoughts and frustrations). I waited to respond because my frustration was going to speak before my heart could. So, I let time pass and I processed it all.  I ha

God chose you, are you choosing Him?

Hi friends! Your multi-colored hair, coffee drinking, spaz of a friend is back. Life has been an adventure this last year and I find myself back in the town I graduated high school from, living with my parents for the first time in 5 years. I am in a bit of a transitional point in my life, with some time off. So, why not start writing again? As always, I want to be transparent and vulnerable with you. Today's writing is totally prompted by what God has recently been doing in me and I decided to share it with you. You see- I have been chasing a feeling. I have been searching for a way to fill a specific void in my heart. The concept of someone choosing me . Two of my closest friends have heard me sing this song for some time, especially the last few months. I have wanted someone to choose me. I wanted the boy who pursued something with my best friend behind my back, to choose me. I wanted my best friend in that moment, to choose me. I wanted every guy in every failed relat