Skip to main content

At The Hands Of A Woman - A Response Post

A Christian girl responding to "I'm A Christian Girl And I'm Not A Feminist, Because God Did Not Intend For Women To Be Equals"

"It is OK for me to not want to be equivalent with a man."

When I saw this article pop up on my Facebook feed back in March, I laughed. This had to be a gag article, right? Some sort of satire published by the Odyssey. (What makes it even better is when I went to re-read it today to write my response, the ad in the middle of the blog was a video titled 'Why Many Christian Girls Remain Single' by a guy. But that is neither here nor there.) 

Now this blog is "old news" since it was published in March and I am responding in May, but in all transparency I had to wait to respond (not that it was my job or duty to respond, but I just had so many thoughts and frustrations). I waited to respond because my frustration was going to speak before my heart could. So, I let time pass and I processed it all. 

I have processed, let time passed, re-read, dialogued with friends, and have done my own research. Interestingly enough, my young adults group is finishing up our series "Nevertheless, She Persisted: Radical Women of the Bible" and as soon as I wrap up this post I will be finishing my message that concludes part one of our two part series. Two part series because there are just. so. many. radical. women. in. the. Bible.

Anyways.

I don't mean for my words to be bashful or disrespectful towards Rach_Wallace, the author of the post. I just can't seem to "agree to disagree" with you Rach_Wallace. Rach. Rachel? 

To simply state: I respect your opinion, but you are wrong.

Let me start with stating the contrasts between Rach and I. Rach is a young Christian girl from the South and I am a young, single pastor from California who used to be in the beauty industry in Los Angeles before stepping into ministry in our state's capital. I won't go into liberal vs. conservative or any other political sides and mindsets. I don't even want to solely focus on "Christian's Being Feminists: Right or Wrong?" (Another post for another time, maybe?) I want to remain on topic of Rach's main argument: Women and men not being equal.

Because women and men are created equal.

Galatians 3:8 "There is neither Jew nor Gentile, neither slave nor free, nor is there male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus"
Romans 2:11 "For God does not show favoritism."
Genesis 1:27 "So God created human beings in his own image. In the image of God he created them; male and female he created them."

Just a few to start. 
But my personal favorite, and the foundation of my belief and argument: Judges 4:9 "“Very well,” she replied, “I will go with you. But you will receive no honor in this venture, for the Lord’s victory over Sisera will be at the hands of a woman.” So Deborah went with Barak to Kedesh."
This very verse was the topic of my first message in our young adults series and my life mantra.

My fellow woman, Rach, argues that "God created man and then he created woman. This was two separate occurrences and order is key. He created Adam and then Eve." But if we read Genesis 2, we see that God saw that it was "not good for man to be alone" (Genesis 2:18) so from man's side he created a "helper suitable for him". Eve was not taken from Adam's head or his feet, not from above or below but from his side- insinuating equality. If men and women were not equal why did God not create Adam's "suitable" helper to be another man? Yes, Rach, God is a God of order but Adam being created before Eve was not a representation of equality rather a representation of process.

"All of this is explicitly laid out by God in Proverbs 31." Oh, the Proverbs 31 woman. Love her. No, really I do. The best and quickest way I can present my view on the Proverbs 31 woman is with this text randomly sent to me at midnight by my best friend:

In Proverbs 31 we see an entrepreneur (vs, 16-18, 24), a provider (vs. 13-15, 21-22), a leader (vs. 26-27), a mother and wife (vs. 28), a bold and brave woman whose husband is "known at the city gates" and her "works are praised at the city gates".

My dear Rach, how could you forget of all the incredible women in the Bible who went outside of societal norms and did amazing things for Christ- all without belittling themselves to solely being the servant of their husband?

Judges 4 is a chapter dedicated to a woman Judge. Before kings came into play in the Bible there were Judges in which all of Israel went to seek counsel from. In chapter 4 of Judges we see all of Israel going to a married woman for counsel - not her husband- and then victory was at the hands of a woman named Jael. 

If you read, the Bible is filled with stories of events being 'at the hands of a woman'.

Rahab, a prostitue, protecting Joshua's men from the King of Jericho and in turn protecting her entire family line (which Jesus was from). (Joshua 2)

Esther risking her life to save all of the Jews. (The entire book of Esther)

Ruth leaving her people then working the field to provide for her mother-in-law in an unknown land. (The entire book of Ruth)

Mary Magdalene being the. first. evangelist.?!?!?! (John 20:1-2)

Stories of women being the example of true humility- the woman with the perfume. (Mark 14:3-9)

In fact, Jesus loved women so much he went out of his way to break societal norms and personally engage with them and use them for his namesake- the woman at the well. (John 4:1-42)

I could go on and on- sharing about women like Lydia, opening her home for baptisms. (Acts16:15) Priscilla and her husband, Aquila, both leading together. (Romans 16:3-4, Acts 18) I could even brag about the women in the "normal" roles. Hannah praying without ceasing for a son. Rachel waiting patiently for her husband. Just. So. Many. Radical. Women. 

To say women and men are not equal is not only wrong- but dangerous. If we begin to believe of a greater/less-than roles between genders, where then do we draw the line in regards to race, social class, etc? Furthermore, if you are saying that a man is greater than I am does that mean, I, a single woman who is a pastor, am of unequal value to my male co-pastor? Or are you also then saying that I have not reached my full purpose until I find a man to serve in marriage? If then- what would you tell the thirty year old single woman who is thriving in her business? To have any young girl or woman read that she is less-than a man is damaging and hindering of what the Lord may be calling her to do outside of the confines of a relationship with a man.

There is no right or wrong role to have as a woman. If you want to be the C.E.O./entrepreneur- do it. If you want evangelize- do it. If you want to equally lead with your husband- do it. If you want to be a stay-at-home mom- do it! Wherever you feel called, go.

To be a "Christian feminist" is to not say I am better than men, I love men! I pray to be married to a man with goals and ambitions- chasing after whatever God has called him to be. What I see this as is me owning the belief that men and women are created equal and God will use whoever  He choose, despite race, gender, age, social status, political stance, etc. 

Rach wrote: "To feminists and those that are not, you are allowed to believe whatever you wish but have evidence to back it up." So, my dear Rach, if I have not provided you with enough Biblical evidence, I will gladly provide more.

To all the women who have felt less-than: you are more than the box that society has put you in. Your call can, and may, be just as big as the man sitting next to you. You have purpose and a future. You are filled with the God-given strength to pave the way for our daughters and our daughter's daughters.  You were not created solely to vacuum the house before your husband gets home or to make his plate at the BBQ while he sits and drinks his beer with his friends who are also waiting for their wives to make them a plate. 

To all the men who have a woman in their life (so, like, all of you): Cherish her. Empower her. Love her. For "she is worth far more than rubies" (Proverbs 31:1

To all of you men and women of all ages and races: let us see and value each other how Christ intended and created us to be- equal. Equal and in His image.

Xoxo,
Blue
(A young, single, woman pastor)



You can read Rach_Wallace's original article here.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The rest of my life...

Let me ask you a question: If where you are currently at is exactly where God called you to be for the rest of your life, how would you respond? This question was brought up during a venting session I had with two of my closest friends. I have been thinking about it over and over again. How would I respond? I'll be honest, most days my response is frustration. When I have served at what I considered to be the "bottom" I was constantly looking to my next season. I was constantly praying and hoping for God to elevate me out of where I currently was. I wonder how many opportunities to serve Christ I missed out on because I was always looking left or right for what I wanted as opposed to looking straight ahead to what He was doing. Matthew 25:29  "To those who use well what they are given, even more will be given, and they will have an abundance. But from those who do nothing, even what little they have will be taken away." That brings me to another question:

God chose you, are you choosing Him?

Hi friends! Your multi-colored hair, coffee drinking, spaz of a friend is back. Life has been an adventure this last year and I find myself back in the town I graduated high school from, living with my parents for the first time in 5 years. I am in a bit of a transitional point in my life, with some time off. So, why not start writing again? As always, I want to be transparent and vulnerable with you. Today's writing is totally prompted by what God has recently been doing in me and I decided to share it with you. You see- I have been chasing a feeling. I have been searching for a way to fill a specific void in my heart. The concept of someone choosing me . Two of my closest friends have heard me sing this song for some time, especially the last few months. I have wanted someone to choose me. I wanted the boy who pursued something with my best friend behind my back, to choose me. I wanted my best friend in that moment, to choose me. I wanted every guy in every failed relat