Skip to main content

Sunday funday¿?

  I want to start of this post with a huge "congratulations" to my home church, The Gathering LA, for celebrating two years this past Sunday. So CONGRATULATIONS. This church is amazing. All different types of people gather every week for all one thing: to be fed. Yes they did "pancakes and handshakes" and had tacos but they aren't coming for that type of feeding. Although I'm sure some would argue differently.
(Pastor Alberto Bello preaching at the night gathering on 1-10-16)
    But let's talk about church. I feel that, we as Christians, have gotten to a point where we have decided church isn't necessary. Maybe it's the idea that going to church doesn't make you a Christian so NOT going doesn't make you not a Christian. Or maybe you work, want to sleep in, or the church has hurt you in some way, or some other reason. Here's the deal. Church is very important to our walks as Christians. Get rid of the excuses. They aren't allowed.
   You work? Genesis 2:3 states, "Then God blessed the seventh day and made it holy, because on it he rested from all the work of creating that he had done." So, biblically you need a day of rest from work. God's resting day was declared holy. Why not use your day of rest to worship and soak up God? Take a day off. Don't let work be an excuse anymore. Don't put your job over Him (who do you thin got you that job anyways?)
   We need to be constantly fed. Think of it this way: a new baby is fed until they are full and have a happy tummy so they can grow. You tell little kids to eat their vegetables so they can grow up big and strong. We should be feeding our spirits with worship, prayer, and the word so we can... g r o w... as Christians.
  You say "I read my bible every night, I have 12 devotionals, and all of the Jesus Culture albums on repeat everyday. Why would I still need church? I'm feeding myself." Let me throw a few verses at you.
               Matthew 18:20 "For where two or three are gathered in my name, there am I with them." 
               Colossians 3:16 "Let the message of Christ dwell among you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom through psalms, hymns, and songs from the Spirit, singing to God with gratitude in your hearts."
               Romans 10:17 "Consequently, faith comes from hearing the message, and the message is heard through the word about Christ."
               Ephesians 4:11-12 "So Christ himself gave the apostles, the prophets, the evangelists, the pastors and teachers, to equip his people for works of service, so that the body of Christ may be built up."
               2 Timothy 4:2 "Preach the word; be prepared in season and out of season; correct, rebuke, and encourage - with great patience and careful instruction."
   Let's sum this up. We need to gather with fellow Christians in His name so we can be taught with the wisdom of Christ in each message so that our faith my grow, all while the body of Christ is being built up by the teachers and pastors that were sent to hold us accountable by correction, encouragement, and patience. Make sense?
   For those who have been hurt by the church, I am so sorry for whatever has happened. Please know that one church does not speak for the rest. There are numbers of churches everywhere. Find a church that takes you with loving and open arms. Get connected with others that are apart of the body of Christ. Don't force yourself into an uncomfortable environment. Find a church that speaks truth. Be taught. Be fed. Go to church. 
    (Those in the LA area I recommend The Gathering LA. We meet Sunday's at 11 am located at 1725 Ivar Ave. Hollywood, CA 90028. I'm not biased but I kind of am but I'm not. Just go. Try it out. It's fab)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The rest of my life...

Let me ask you a question: If where you are currently at is exactly where God called you to be for the rest of your life, how would you respond? This question was brought up during a venting session I had with two of my closest friends. I have been thinking about it over and over again. How would I respond? I'll be honest, most days my response is frustration. When I have served at what I considered to be the "bottom" I was constantly looking to my next season. I was constantly praying and hoping for God to elevate me out of where I currently was. I wonder how many opportunities to serve Christ I missed out on because I was always looking left or right for what I wanted as opposed to looking straight ahead to what He was doing. Matthew 25:29  "To those who use well what they are given, even more will be given, and they will have an abundance. But from those who do nothing, even what little they have will be taken away." That brings me to another question:

At The Hands Of A Woman - A Response Post

A Christian girl responding to "I'm A Christian Girl And I'm Not A Feminist, Because God Did Not Intend For Women To Be Equals" "It is OK for me to not want to be equivalent with a man." When I saw this article pop up on my Facebook feed back in March, I laughed. This had to be a gag article, right? Some sort of satire published by the Odyssey. (What makes it even better is when I went to re-read it today to write my response, the ad in the middle of the blog was a video titled 'Why Many Christian Girls Remain Single' by a guy. But that is neither here nor there.)  Now this blog is "old news" since it was published in March and I am responding in May, but in all transparency I had to wait to respond (not that it was my job or duty to respond, but I just had so many thoughts and frustrations). I waited to respond because my frustration was going to speak before my heart could. So, I let time pass and I processed it all.  I ha

God chose you, are you choosing Him?

Hi friends! Your multi-colored hair, coffee drinking, spaz of a friend is back. Life has been an adventure this last year and I find myself back in the town I graduated high school from, living with my parents for the first time in 5 years. I am in a bit of a transitional point in my life, with some time off. So, why not start writing again? As always, I want to be transparent and vulnerable with you. Today's writing is totally prompted by what God has recently been doing in me and I decided to share it with you. You see- I have been chasing a feeling. I have been searching for a way to fill a specific void in my heart. The concept of someone choosing me . Two of my closest friends have heard me sing this song for some time, especially the last few months. I have wanted someone to choose me. I wanted the boy who pursued something with my best friend behind my back, to choose me. I wanted my best friend in that moment, to choose me. I wanted every guy in every failed relat