Skip to main content

Pursuit of happiness



  When I first started my job here in LA I was only getting three hour shifts during the weekdays. I would have about a two hour gap in between work and school in which I would go to Starbucks and order my venti black iced tea, with more sweetener added than there is tea, and my turkey pesto sandwich. Every payday I would go to the mall, pick up some bath bombs from Lush, and grab some Taco Bell. These things made me happy and I looked forward to them but then my hours picked up and my money got tight. That was when I learned the difference between happiness and joy
   Habakkuk 3:17-18 "Though the fig tree does not bud and there are no grapes on the vines, though the olive crop fails and the field produces no food, though there are no sheep in the pen and no cattle in the stalls, yet I will rejoice in the Lord, I will be joyful in God my Savior." 
  Joy is having a cheerful heart even when things in life seem to be crumbling apart. 
  Happiness is finding contentment in the things around us. Things around us are fleeting, we are happy today but sad tomorrow.
  Joy comes from the Lord. Joy comes from when we put our trust in the Lord.
  Romans 15:13 "May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit."
  Even when money runs out, you don't get the promotion, a relationship ends, or whatever causes your happiness to fade, you are able to find joy because you trust that God is with you and that God is preparing you a better tomorrow.
  I remember a few years ago this cute little old lady at church was so happy. When asked how she could have this radiating joy she responded with "Well, God loves me." The world could seemingly be against you, everything in your life could be falling apart but God loves you. Do you trust Him to take care of you and guide you through all the ups and the downs? Nehemiah 8:10 "Do not grieve, for the joy of the Lord is your strength."



*Feel free to comment or email me for any prayer requests or questions* 
Email: jessicutscolorandstyle@gmail.com
Instagram: @jessicanicolelair
                 @jessicuts.color.and.style
Twitter: @jessnicolelair

*Looking for a church in the LA area?*
Check out The Gathering LA
Sunday's at 11 a.m. and 7 p.m.
1725 Ivar Ave. Hollywood, CA 90028

Comments

  1. Well written my fellow PK aka my other daughter. Definitely words to think about. Love ya kiddo.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The rest of my life...

Let me ask you a question: If where you are currently at is exactly where God called you to be for the rest of your life, how would you respond? This question was brought up during a venting session I had with two of my closest friends. I have been thinking about it over and over again. How would I respond? I'll be honest, most days my response is frustration. When I have served at what I considered to be the "bottom" I was constantly looking to my next season. I was constantly praying and hoping for God to elevate me out of where I currently was. I wonder how many opportunities to serve Christ I missed out on because I was always looking left or right for what I wanted as opposed to looking straight ahead to what He was doing. Matthew 25:29  "To those who use well what they are given, even more will be given, and they will have an abundance. But from those who do nothing, even what little they have will be taken away." That brings me to another question:

At The Hands Of A Woman - A Response Post

A Christian girl responding to "I'm A Christian Girl And I'm Not A Feminist, Because God Did Not Intend For Women To Be Equals" "It is OK for me to not want to be equivalent with a man." When I saw this article pop up on my Facebook feed back in March, I laughed. This had to be a gag article, right? Some sort of satire published by the Odyssey. (What makes it even better is when I went to re-read it today to write my response, the ad in the middle of the blog was a video titled 'Why Many Christian Girls Remain Single' by a guy. But that is neither here nor there.)  Now this blog is "old news" since it was published in March and I am responding in May, but in all transparency I had to wait to respond (not that it was my job or duty to respond, but I just had so many thoughts and frustrations). I waited to respond because my frustration was going to speak before my heart could. So, I let time pass and I processed it all.  I ha

God chose you, are you choosing Him?

Hi friends! Your multi-colored hair, coffee drinking, spaz of a friend is back. Life has been an adventure this last year and I find myself back in the town I graduated high school from, living with my parents for the first time in 5 years. I am in a bit of a transitional point in my life, with some time off. So, why not start writing again? As always, I want to be transparent and vulnerable with you. Today's writing is totally prompted by what God has recently been doing in me and I decided to share it with you. You see- I have been chasing a feeling. I have been searching for a way to fill a specific void in my heart. The concept of someone choosing me . Two of my closest friends have heard me sing this song for some time, especially the last few months. I have wanted someone to choose me. I wanted the boy who pursued something with my best friend behind my back, to choose me. I wanted my best friend in that moment, to choose me. I wanted every guy in every failed relat