Skip to main content

Check yourself before you wreck yourself

  Luke 15:25-32 "Meanwhile, the older son was in the field. When he came near the house, he heard music and dancing. So he called one of the servants and asked him what was going on. 'Your brother has come,' he replied, 'and your father has killed the fattened calf because he has him back safe and sound.' The older brother became angry and refused to go in. So his father went out and pleaded with him. But he answered his father, 'Look! All these years I've been slaving for you and never disobeyed your orders. Yet you never gave me even a young goat so I could celebrate with my friends. But when this son of yours who has squandered your property with prostitues comes home, you'll kill the fattened calf for him!' 'My son,' the father said,' you are always with me, and everything I have is yours. But we had to celebrate and be glad because this brother of yours was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found.'"
  So here is Jessica Nicole Lair, yet again, being basic. "Really Jessica, the prodigal son story?" Yes the prodigal son story! Are you kidding me? This story is great. But really, this story was a slap to my face but not because of the son who ran away, but because of the son who stayed. I can think back to moments in my life, moments even occurring now, where I am jealous of the celebration over the "prodigal" child. I can be thrilled for them returning home but something about the celebration gets to me. "I've worked so hard." "I've been serving in the church for much longer." "They haven't known Christ as long as I have."  "How dare they thrive in their faith?!" How awful that these thoughts, or ones similar, have come to mind. 
  It is time to look at the real issue; the pride in one's heart. To think that we are so full of ourselves that we can't allow another Christian to thrive and rise in their gifts and talents without growing bitter in our heart is quite sad. 
  The same grace that was extended to you while you were in your prodigal son era, is the same grace that is extended to them. You had and have your moments of grace and have worked in areas that you can shine in, why can't they? What makes them lesser than you to where they can not experience Christ and all He has for them, like you did? It is time to take a look at your heart.
  Mark 7:20-23 "He went on: 'What comes out of a person is what defiles them. For it is from within, out of a person's heart, that evil thoughts come-sexual immorality, theft, murder, adultery, greed, malice, deceit, lewdness, envy, slander, arrogance and folly. All these evils come from inside and defile a person."
  Y'all better check yourself before you wreck yourself. Celebrate the prodigal son, not only coming home, but experiencing Christ in such a beautiful way! Rejoice and build them up. Encourage them in their walk and push them to continue to do what Christ is calling them to do, just as someone did for you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The rest of my life...

Let me ask you a question: If where you are currently at is exactly where God called you to be for the rest of your life, how would you respond? This question was brought up during a venting session I had with two of my closest friends. I have been thinking about it over and over again. How would I respond? I'll be honest, most days my response is frustration. When I have served at what I considered to be the "bottom" I was constantly looking to my next season. I was constantly praying and hoping for God to elevate me out of where I currently was. I wonder how many opportunities to serve Christ I missed out on because I was always looking left or right for what I wanted as opposed to looking straight ahead to what He was doing. Matthew 25:29  "To those who use well what they are given, even more will be given, and they will have an abundance. But from those who do nothing, even what little they have will be taken away." That brings me to another question:

At The Hands Of A Woman - A Response Post

A Christian girl responding to "I'm A Christian Girl And I'm Not A Feminist, Because God Did Not Intend For Women To Be Equals" "It is OK for me to not want to be equivalent with a man." When I saw this article pop up on my Facebook feed back in March, I laughed. This had to be a gag article, right? Some sort of satire published by the Odyssey. (What makes it even better is when I went to re-read it today to write my response, the ad in the middle of the blog was a video titled 'Why Many Christian Girls Remain Single' by a guy. But that is neither here nor there.)  Now this blog is "old news" since it was published in March and I am responding in May, but in all transparency I had to wait to respond (not that it was my job or duty to respond, but I just had so many thoughts and frustrations). I waited to respond because my frustration was going to speak before my heart could. So, I let time pass and I processed it all.  I ha

God chose you, are you choosing Him?

Hi friends! Your multi-colored hair, coffee drinking, spaz of a friend is back. Life has been an adventure this last year and I find myself back in the town I graduated high school from, living with my parents for the first time in 5 years. I am in a bit of a transitional point in my life, with some time off. So, why not start writing again? As always, I want to be transparent and vulnerable with you. Today's writing is totally prompted by what God has recently been doing in me and I decided to share it with you. You see- I have been chasing a feeling. I have been searching for a way to fill a specific void in my heart. The concept of someone choosing me . Two of my closest friends have heard me sing this song for some time, especially the last few months. I have wanted someone to choose me. I wanted the boy who pursued something with my best friend behind my back, to choose me. I wanted my best friend in that moment, to choose me. I wanted every guy in every failed relat