Skip to main content

So, what's next?

it me
I look back on who I was on September 7, 2015 when I officially moved to Los Angeles. How funny it is to see how quickly someone can change in a matter of a year and a half. I don't even recognize the girl with long, blonde hair, carrying a bright pink purse and driving a big red pick up truck. She is almost non-existant in my memory. She believed she had God's plan for her life all figured out.

Oh how she was so wrong.



So, what's next for me? 

I will not be a hairstylist, in fact the only reason I am not dropping out of school is because I can not financially afford to drop out. But what will I be doing? I will be going to ministry school to be credentialed. Yes. I am leaving a life of possible buckets of money to go into full time ministry. 

Why? Because it is something God has been calling me to do since I was 15 years old but for 4 years I have been running from what He has wanted me to do.



I grew up in the world of ministry. Born and raised a pastor's kid, I wanted to run far away from the stereotype of either becoming a hot mess or becoming a pastor. All my life I knew I would be in Los Angeles, but I thought it would be for performing. I had dreams to be an actress. Then, my senior year I decided to attend Paul Mitchell the School. My first few months I loved it. I am not exactly sure when I began to strongly dislike it, but it has been for a while.

The more I fell out of love with my school and career choice, the more I fell in love with my church and the leadership opportunities I was being given. The more I began to press into God the more I heard Him tell me to stop running.

After processing everything with my sister and pastors I have decided that this is where my life needs to be headed. I am terrified. I am excited. I can not explain the feeling I have to finally be walking in God's will, not mine.





Why would God open all the doors for me to get to beauty school only for me to want to walk away from it half way through?

Well, I believe that God saw my stubborness and said, "Okay. I'll allow you to do it your way to see that's not the best way."

I keep thinking about Jonah, the typical running away from God story, and it really sits with me. In Jonah 1:3-4 "But Jonah ran away from the Lord and headed to Tarshish. He went down to Joppa, where he found a ship bound for that port. After paying the fare, he went aboard and sailed for Tarshish to flee from the Lord. Then the Lord sent a great wind on the sea, and such a violent storm arose that the ship threatened to break up." God allowed Jonah to get on the boat, allowing Jonah to do his thing, only for a storm to come. In my devotions this morning I read Matthew 11:28-30 "...I won't lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you..." God did not force me, or Jonah, to do anything. He called us, we heard and we said "lol no" and we walked our own way. Each path I was choosing to take, God kept pointing me back to Him because deep in my heart my only desire is to serve Him fully, even if I fall short most times. Finally, God sent my storm and it was in the midst of the hurricane that I finally decided to listen.





"Where there is fear, there is opportunity. Where there is greater fear, there is greater opportunity."

I want to thank everyone who has helped me and supported my in my journey. Growing up is hard. Figuring out what to do with the rest of your life is a lot to do at 18 years old. As I am nearing my 20th birthday I am so blessed to have this path for my life. I have a lot more lessons to learn in life and I have a lot more growing to do, but I am so thankful for all those who are on this journey with me. Thank you. 

I said it the beginning of this month and I'll say it again: The best is yet to come.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The rest of my life...

Let me ask you a question: If where you are currently at is exactly where God called you to be for the rest of your life, how would you respond? This question was brought up during a venting session I had with two of my closest friends. I have been thinking about it over and over again. How would I respond? I'll be honest, most days my response is frustration. When I have served at what I considered to be the "bottom" I was constantly looking to my next season. I was constantly praying and hoping for God to elevate me out of where I currently was. I wonder how many opportunities to serve Christ I missed out on because I was always looking left or right for what I wanted as opposed to looking straight ahead to what He was doing. Matthew 25:29  "To those who use well what they are given, even more will be given, and they will have an abundance. But from those who do nothing, even what little they have will be taken away." That brings me to another question:

At The Hands Of A Woman - A Response Post

A Christian girl responding to "I'm A Christian Girl And I'm Not A Feminist, Because God Did Not Intend For Women To Be Equals" "It is OK for me to not want to be equivalent with a man." When I saw this article pop up on my Facebook feed back in March, I laughed. This had to be a gag article, right? Some sort of satire published by the Odyssey. (What makes it even better is when I went to re-read it today to write my response, the ad in the middle of the blog was a video titled 'Why Many Christian Girls Remain Single' by a guy. But that is neither here nor there.)  Now this blog is "old news" since it was published in March and I am responding in May, but in all transparency I had to wait to respond (not that it was my job or duty to respond, but I just had so many thoughts and frustrations). I waited to respond because my frustration was going to speak before my heart could. So, I let time pass and I processed it all.  I ha

God chose you, are you choosing Him?

Hi friends! Your multi-colored hair, coffee drinking, spaz of a friend is back. Life has been an adventure this last year and I find myself back in the town I graduated high school from, living with my parents for the first time in 5 years. I am in a bit of a transitional point in my life, with some time off. So, why not start writing again? As always, I want to be transparent and vulnerable with you. Today's writing is totally prompted by what God has recently been doing in me and I decided to share it with you. You see- I have been chasing a feeling. I have been searching for a way to fill a specific void in my heart. The concept of someone choosing me . Two of my closest friends have heard me sing this song for some time, especially the last few months. I have wanted someone to choose me. I wanted the boy who pursued something with my best friend behind my back, to choose me. I wanted my best friend in that moment, to choose me. I wanted every guy in every failed relat