Skip to main content

I, the farmer

Isaiah 28:23-26 "Listen to me; listen, and pay close attention. Does a farmer always plow and never sow? Is he forever cultivating the soil and never planting? Does he not finally plant his seeds- black cumin, cumin, wheat, barley, and emmer wheat- each in its proper way, and each in its proper place? The farmer knows just what to do, for God has given him understanding."

I've been dwelling on these verses all day today. The question I asked myself after reading this during my morning devotions was: Am I being faithful with my field?

Am I planting the right seeds in the right season?

Am I over-watering to where I drown my crop or am I giving it just enough?

Am I harvesting too early or reaping at just the right time?

Have I neglected my field all together?

What do I mean by all of this?

I mean that in every aspect of our life; ministry, work, relationships, etc. we sow seeds. Each category of our life is a field that we must tend to. Are we actually progressively working on our field or are we stuck in one step?

As we work our field it is so important for us to evaluate each variable. What season are we in, what soil are we planting in, are we continuing to work the field, and are we ready for the harvest? I look at the season I am currently in and I ask myself, am I planting the right seeds for this season? Am I investing into the right people, am I tending to my ministry to the extent I need to be, and have I been asking God to give me the understanding of how to work in this season?

I, personally, beg God to reveal His exact plans to me constantly. I have a deep fear of failing Him and most times I allow this fear to hold me back from doing so many amazing things I know He is asking of me, just in case, so I don't fail Him. But the reality is, God doesn't reveal the big picture step by step, even though I may ask Him every day. What God does, though, is He gives us understating- wisdom- on how to tend to our field, or life.

Isaiah 28:29 "The Lord of Heavens' Armies is a wonderful teacher, and he gives the farmer great wisdom."

I asked myself how I am doing tending to my field, but now I need to ask myself, am I going to Christ, my teacher, so I may learn all I need to learn? He knows which seed is for which season and exactly how and when to tend to each one. He knows when the harvest will come and how to prepare for it. Am I seeking Him, am I learning from Him, am I gaining wisdom and understanding so I may faithfully tend to my field?

My pastor/spiritual father has said many times, "We can't get by on last years faith."

We can't tend to this seasons field the way we tended to last seasons field. Are we allowing ourselves to grow in faith and wisdom to understand the new thing God is doing? This harvest you are preparing for is not like the last one and if you walk into this next season with the same knowledge as last season, you won't reap to the extent of what God has for you. 

Romans 12:2 "Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will." 

Renew your mind daily. Learn something daily. Who do you learn from? The Teacher. It is because of renewing our mind in Him, by seeking knowledge and wisdom from Him, that we may tend to our field in the way that we should.

As we faithfully tend to our field, let us never stop going to the one who gives us the rain and the sun. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The rest of my life...

Let me ask you a question: If where you are currently at is exactly where God called you to be for the rest of your life, how would you respond? This question was brought up during a venting session I had with two of my closest friends. I have been thinking about it over and over again. How would I respond? I'll be honest, most days my response is frustration. When I have served at what I considered to be the "bottom" I was constantly looking to my next season. I was constantly praying and hoping for God to elevate me out of where I currently was. I wonder how many opportunities to serve Christ I missed out on because I was always looking left or right for what I wanted as opposed to looking straight ahead to what He was doing. Matthew 25:29  "To those who use well what they are given, even more will be given, and they will have an abundance. But from those who do nothing, even what little they have will be taken away." That brings me to another question:

At The Hands Of A Woman - A Response Post

A Christian girl responding to "I'm A Christian Girl And I'm Not A Feminist, Because God Did Not Intend For Women To Be Equals" "It is OK for me to not want to be equivalent with a man." When I saw this article pop up on my Facebook feed back in March, I laughed. This had to be a gag article, right? Some sort of satire published by the Odyssey. (What makes it even better is when I went to re-read it today to write my response, the ad in the middle of the blog was a video titled 'Why Many Christian Girls Remain Single' by a guy. But that is neither here nor there.)  Now this blog is "old news" since it was published in March and I am responding in May, but in all transparency I had to wait to respond (not that it was my job or duty to respond, but I just had so many thoughts and frustrations). I waited to respond because my frustration was going to speak before my heart could. So, I let time pass and I processed it all.  I ha

God chose you, are you choosing Him?

Hi friends! Your multi-colored hair, coffee drinking, spaz of a friend is back. Life has been an adventure this last year and I find myself back in the town I graduated high school from, living with my parents for the first time in 5 years. I am in a bit of a transitional point in my life, with some time off. So, why not start writing again? As always, I want to be transparent and vulnerable with you. Today's writing is totally prompted by what God has recently been doing in me and I decided to share it with you. You see- I have been chasing a feeling. I have been searching for a way to fill a specific void in my heart. The concept of someone choosing me . Two of my closest friends have heard me sing this song for some time, especially the last few months. I have wanted someone to choose me. I wanted the boy who pursued something with my best friend behind my back, to choose me. I wanted my best friend in that moment, to choose me. I wanted every guy in every failed relat